The Greater Lansing Food Bank (GLFB) is joining in with over 200 other Feeding America food banks across the United States in September for Hunger Action Month, a nationwide campaign to mobilize the public to take action in the fight against hunger.. Hunger exists in every county in the country, affecting nearly 49 million Americans, including 16 million children.
How does that impact us here at the Greater Lansing Food Bank – approximately 14.7% of the individuals living in our 7 county region suffer from food insecurity- in other words, they don’t know where there next meal will come from. Of that number, 1 in 4 are children.
Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to join a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our effort to feed more people than ever before.
How You Can Help Fight Hunger
Take Action Online
- TURN ORANGE FOR HUNGER RELIEF™ by making your Facebook and Twitter profiles orange on Hunger Action Day, Thursday, September 4th
- Donate to the GLFB
- DONATE your status and share your local hunger statistics on Facebook and Twitter
- LIKE (on Facebook) & FOLLOW (on Twitter and Instagram) Feeding America and the GLFB on social media (links on graphics below)
- PLEDGE your support for the more than 1 in 5 kids in the United States who face hunger by signing Feeding America’s Feeding a Strong Future pledge.
Take Action in the Community
- Organize a fund and/or food drive for the GLFB
- TURN ORANGE FOR HUNGER RELIEF™ by wearing orange on Hunger Action Day. Share a pic of your orange style socially with @GLFoodBank and use the hashtag #HungerAction.
- VOLUNTEER at the GLFB and be part of the hunger-relief solution. Share a pic of your volunteer experience with @GLFoodBank via social media and use the hashtag #HungerAction.
Whether it’s by advocating and raising awareness, making donations, or volunteering, individuals can find the way that’s right for them to make a difference during Hunger Action Month.
This Hunger Action Month calendar serves as a daily reminder of what you can do as a member of our community to help end hunger. Print it out and share with family and friends!