PRE-CUT MELONS RECALL: The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and state and local partners, is investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Carrau illnesses linked to pre-cut melon products. These products contain cantaloupe, honeydew, or watermelon, or may be mixes of some or all of these melons and other pre-cut fruit.
Caito Foods, LLC, of Indianapolis, Ind., has recalled products containing pre-cut melons because they are potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Additionally, Caito Foods, LLC has temporarily suspended producing and distributing these products.
Consumers should not eat the recalled pre-cut melon products. The products were packaged in clear, plastic clamshell containers and distributed in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Consumers in these states who have purchased pre-cut melon products and cannot determine whether they were produced by Caito Foods, LLC should throw those products out.
These products were sold at the following retailers:
- Kroger under the Renaissance Food Group label
- Kroger under Boar’s Head Private Label
- Target under the Garden Highway Label
- Trader Joes under the Trader Joes label
- Walmart under a Freshness Guaranteed label
- Amazon/Whole Foods under the Whole Foods Market Label
These products were distributed by:
- Caito Foods Distribution with the label “Distributed by Caito Foods”
- Gordon Food Service with the label “Distributed by Caito Foods”
- SpartanNash Distribution with the label “Open Acres”