Hunger impacts people in every corner of the country, including more than 89,000 neighbors in mid-Michigan. Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, that number may increase 30 percent this year alone.
That’s why Greater Lansing Food Bank joins Feeding America® food banks nationwide this September for the 13th annual Hunger Action MonthTM, to inspire people to take action and bring attention to the reality of food insecurity in America. This year’s campaign comes at a critical time when the COVID-19 pandemic has hurt millions of people living paycheck to paycheck. Due to staggering unemployment rates, Feeding America estimates an additional 17 million people could be food insecure in 2020 as a result of this crisis, bringing the total up to 54 million people.
EVERY. ACTION. COUNTS! We can end hunger one helping at a time. With every action, we get one step closer to making hunger a thing of the past.
This Hunger Action Month, make your action count by:
- Making a monetary donation
- Setting up a “virtual” food drive to share with your friends and family
- Donating produce from your home garden to a local food pantry
- Sharing social media messages from GLFB
- Wearing orange on Hunger Action Day, September 10th, and sharing your story of support. Don’t forget to tag us @GLFoodBank1!